Join for FREE
 FAQs
 About MatchFlick
 Privacy Policy
Contests
 Guess That Scene
Syndication
 RSS Feeds

Go Back   Movie Forums , Movie Chat , Movie Discussions - MatchFlick > Horror Zone
-->
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2013
MatchFlick Senior Executive

mike727360 is on a distinguished road
Default Jason Voorhees and FRIDAY the 13th Will Return to the Big Screen in 2015

MANIAC
Jason Voorhees and FRIDAY the 13th Will Return to the Big Screen in 2015

Jason Voorhees UPDATE: While we weren't sure exactly which route the studio would take, it looks like Paramount has decided to move forward with a new FRIDAY the 13th movie, arriving in theaters on March 13, 2015, which is a pretty prime spot for a horror movie. According to this tweet from ERC, the film won't be a sequel to the recent reboot, but will instead be its own reboot, probably with a found-footage spin.

Originally posted 10/2/13: October is here, so that means it's time for all sorts of horror movie-related news and notes -- and today we've learned of another possibility for the resurrection of Jason Voorhees.

Last month, rumors of a television series entitled "Crystal Lake Chronicles" surfaced -- just like when Tina used her psychic powers to raise Jason from the bottom of Camp Crystal Lake way back in FRIDAY the 13th Part VII: The NEW BLOOD. Producer and series creator Sean Cunningham told sources that writers were already hard at work planning how to create a "Smallville"-styled series centered on the vicious mass murderer and his reign of terror.

At the time, we thought that was pretty awesome -- but there was no way it was going to be the only new Jason product on the horizon. For almost inexplicable reasons, Platinum Dunes has never made a sequel to its highly successful 2009 reboot of the series, despite a lot of rumblings. Ideas have floated around for years (my personal favorite involved Jason in a winter setting -- something we've never seen before), and one of the oldies has reemerged.

According to various sources, the idea of making a found-footage FRIDAY the 13th is once again in play. My initial reaction to this is that it's a bad idea.

Found footage is a compelling medium when done right and when used to tell a certain kind of story. A typical FRIDAY film is not that sort of story. Found footage requires the willing suspension of disbelief -- meaning the audience has to accept that the characters would keep filming even while horrible things are happening. Hard to see that being the case while Jason takes a machete to the face a poor, unsuspecting teenager.

Because of that, "Crystal Lake Chronicles" sounds like a more interesting idea from where I'm standing. A web series set in the FRIDAY universe with a recurring cast of characters and an ongoing storyline could be just the ticket to make Jason king of the horror hill in a new decade. I'm sure we'll be seeing more films in the series, too -- but my own hope is that we'll get more traditional Friday narratives and leave the gimmicky and inexpensive found-footage approach to films more suited to take advantage of its benefits.

What do you guys think? If you had to pick, would you take a "Friday" TV series (I'd bring back "Friday the 13th: The Series" if it were up to me) or would you take a gamble on the found-footage approach in the hopes it would present Jason in a new and more terrifying way?

via Cinemablend
Old 01-14-2014
MatchFlick Senior Executive

mike727360 is on a distinguished road
Default No Jason Voorhees In Next FRIDAY the 13th?

MANIAC
No Jason Voorhees In Next FRIDAY the 13th?

We're going to preface this story by flat-out saying we think it's highly unlikely. But the horror-inclined corners of the interwebs are currently abuzz with the rumour that the developing new FRIDAY the 13th movie may not feel the hockey-masked presence of the series' signature slasher Jason Voorhees.

The question mark comes from an interview with Crave Online, in which Platinum Dunes producer Brad Fuller is asked who'll be playing Jason in the next instalment. Kane Hodder? Derek Mears? "I don't know," says Fuller, "because I don't know if we're going to have Jason." He follows that with, "I think if we're going to go for a Jason Voorhees we would go with Derek. He's our guy."

We'd have suggested that the whole mini-controversy stems simply from the wording of Fuller's answer, but that "if" does suggest that Jason is not a done deal. So what could this mean? The HALLOWEEN franchise infamously opted for a Michael Myers-free third chapter in SEASON of the WITCH, but sheepishly returned to the boiler suit and Shatner mask for all subsequent sequels. It's unlikely that Platinum Dunes would attempt a standalone anthology series with that precedent.

So two things occur. One is that this could be a full-on remake of the original 1980 film (despite the little recap at the start of Marcus Nispel's 2010 reboot-quel). Without getting into spoilers for the four of you that don't know / haven't seen SCREAM, that would involve a killer other than Jason.

The alternative is that this could be a symptom of the rumoured found-footage route that this (probable) sequel is taking. Perhaps there's an idea that, by those methods, Jason would be kept so far offscreen and deep in the shadows that his casting is largely irrelevant. "We’re looking at found footage," says Fuller. "I never know because it depends on the story and what the story is. It’s been reported, that’s something that we’re looking into but I can’t tell you definitively that that’s what the movie is."

We're saying it's likely that, whatever's being discussed, fear of fan opprobrium will ensure that Jason will eventually make an appearance in some form. What's certain is that the thirteenth FRIDAY the 13th ("That's very daunting," says Fuller) is currently scheduled for release on March 13, 2015 (a Friday, obvs). If Platinum Dunes really don't know what they're doing yet, they'd better get cracking.

Last edited by mike727360; 01-14-2014 at 04:09 PM.