Contests
 Guess That Scene
Syndication
 RSS Feeds
Old 07-24-2008
Aficionado

Thom is on a distinguished road
Default Watchmen

I've never read the comic, but I have a friend that is crazy about it. I saw the new trailer in front of The Dark Knight and I have mixed thoughts about it. Where's Authoritative Craig?

Geeks... GO!

Last edited by Thom; 07-24-2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Cows have a gun to my head
Old 07-24-2008
MatchFlick Senior Scholar

The Alpha Craig is on a distinguished road
Talking I'm right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
I've never read the comic, but I have a friend that is crazy about it. I saw the new trailer in front of The Dark Knight and I have mixed thoughts about it. Where's Authoritative Craig?

Geeks... GO!
All I can say from the trailer is they are quite literally adapting the entire story (and I totally got a fan-boy soft-on watching it at The Dark Knight - Comic Obsessed Craig.) This will probably be one of the most accurate adaptations to date. I can't wait and you know I will be noting every little detail for authenticity.

Oh by the way, we prefer the term dorks or fan-boys.
Old 07-25-2008
Senior Chief

James will become famous soon enough

Snyder is like the anti-Schumacher. I've spoken to two friends who hadn't read the comic, but saw the trailer and both were uninterested. Neither one got any pertinent information from the preview, it was just flash-bang stuff that makes us geeks go nuts because we see stuff we know.
Old 07-25-2008

Talking I actually felt the trailer gave away too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Snyder is like the anti-Schumacher. I've spoken to two friends who hadn't read the comic, but saw the trailer and both were uninterested. Neither one got any pertinent information from the preview, it was just flash-bang stuff that makes us geeks go nuts because we see stuff we know.
It starts of with Dr. Jonathan Osterman getting vaporised (i.e. becoming Doctor Manhattan - Accurate Alpha) which is cool to see, but the suggests he is the star of the story. Later on they show him disintegrating one of the other prominent characters, a scene that is just about the last things to happen in the story. They also show a couple fight scenes that give away a lot of information that is meant to be a mystery. Of course if you are unfamiliar with the comic, most of this will look like a blur of imagery. Then, when the scene occurs, you'll have that epiphany moment as if to say, "Oh that's what was going on." I still can't wait though.
Old 07-25-2008

Midnight Butterfly will become famous soon enough
Default Me Three!

I'm very excited about THE WATCHMEN movie but very worried. I mean, the original incarnation consisted of twelve intense, complex, explosive issues. It was one of the wildest stories I'd ever read in any medium. That's a LOT of story! In one movie??? Is it going to be six hours long? (I'd watch it.) I loved 300 and I think that kind stylistic dynamism could really work but man, those were TWELVE issues chock full of stuff. I just don't know. Hoping for the best though.

On the contrary, J-dog, when I went to go THE DARK KNIGHT none of my friends had read WATCHMEN and all of them thought the movie looked really cool. Of course, they were all shrooming.
Old 07-25-2008

Thumbs up All I can say is it is going to be the whole series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Butterfly View Post
I'm very excited about THE WATCHMEN movie but very worried. I mean, the original incarnation consisted of twelve intense, complex, explosive issues. It was one of the wildest stories I'd ever read in any medium. That's a LOT of story! In one movie??? Is it going to be six hours long? (I'd watch it.) I loved 300 and I think that kind stylistic dynamism could really work but man, those were TWELVE issues chock full of stuff. I just don't know. Hoping for the best though.

On the contrary, J-dog, when I went to go THE DARK KNIGHT none of my friends had read WATCHMEN and all of them thought the movie looked really cool. Of course, they were all shrooming.
I know it sounds like a lot of story to tell in a relatively short amount of time, but you figure it was twelve issues that made up one trade-paperback/hardcover/graphic novel where Sin City was several series that made up several trade-paperbacks. I think it will be faithfull to the series. *crossing fingers*
Old 07-25-2008
Connoisseur

Amanda Knoss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alpha Craig View Post
I know it sounds like a lot of story to tell in a relatively short amount of time, but you figure it was twelve issues that made up one trade-paperback/hardcover/graphic novel where Sin City was several series that made up several trade-paperbacks. I think it will be faithfull to the series. *crossing fingers*
I thought Sin City did a really good job following the graphic stories... I haven't read Watchmen though and I can't decide whether it would be worth reading before or after seeing the film...
Old 07-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alpha Craig View Post
Faithful is one thing. Good is another.
Old 07-27-2008
Aficionado

Zombie Boy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Knoss View Post
I thought Sin City did a really good job following the graphic stories... I haven't read Watchmen though and I can't decide whether it would be worth reading before or after seeing the film...
Always see the movie first, imo.
Old 07-27-2008

Default Definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Boy View Post
Always see the movie first, imo.
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is a great example of that! The movie may suffer for having read the book but most books won't suffer for having seen the movie. There are exceptions. PRESUMED INNOCENT I don't think it matters. Because the twists and turns of the plot are so essential it doesn't matter which you do first, the other one is ruined.