Privacy Policy
Contests
 Guess That Scene
Syndication
 RSS Feeds
Old 04-29-2008
MatchFlick Senior Scholar

The Alpha Craig is on a distinguished road
Question Who is the most realistic hero?

Quote:
This forum needs an enema.
Okay it should be city instead of forum for the quote to be proper.

Anyway I was just thinking to myself, "Self, if there were any possible superheroes able to exist in real life who would they be?" Now there are certain things that just wouldn't be feasible like radioactive spiders transmitting powers (they would more than likely make you sick or kill you), aliens that come from a dead planet that orbited a red sun which gives them near-omnipotent powers when bathed in a yellow sun (all conspiracy theorists speculate they are little gray and have no power), the ability to conjure up green physical manifestations of whatever a person could think of via a ring and lantern (which would take a seriously secure man to wear any ring that wasn't a class, engagement or wedding ring despite what power it posses), being able to turn your body invisible, into a flame, into living rock, extremely elastic or big mean and green because you were exposed to gamma radiation (that would give you cancer, not powers probably) or gain super human speed after being bath in chemicals and struck by lightning (if that is possible I think people sentenced to death by electric chair should be running at break neck speeds from the cops now.)

My point is that I wonder how many and which superheroes have origins and abilities based in reality. If you think about it there are a lot of non-powered heroes out there. Batman, Green Arrow, Punisher, Wildcat, Question, Union Jack, Nightwing and Judge Dredd to name a few. Obviously they could exist even though each of them would have to have the financial/technological/intellectual backing in order to "get those toys". I will forgo them from this topic.

I think if there were to be any characters from comic books in real life, the most logical choices (to me) would be Captain America, Iron Man (in the Mark 1 suit mind you), Daredevil, most of the mutant population and Taskmaster.

Captain America
Basically he gained his abilities from glorified steroids called the "Super Soldier Formula." I am sure through a care regimen of steroids and physical conditioning, his results may be somewhat achievable.

Iron Man
His idea has been around since the medieval times. A suit of armor is nothing new, just the idea of it being powered is harder to reproduce. I think it is only a matter of time before it happens.

Daredevil
Blind people have extra sensitive compensatory senses. This is not new. Some have even developed "echo-location" (a way of making a tapping or clicking sound that bounces off surfaces to give a mental image of what is around the person) in order to move around without a cane. Ray Charles never used a cane for that reason. It stands to reason that someone could train their body to physical peak, become blind and then train their remaining senses to superhuman levels.

Mutants
These are simply people who are higher along the evolutionary scale. Basically those of us who can read faster, hold their breath longer, calculate equations more accurately, heal from wounds and diseases quicker "think outside the box" etc, these are very minor mutants. They exist already, just not to the level mind control/reading, flight, super strength or optic blasts.

Taskmaster
This almost falls under the "Mutant" category. A person with the ability to watch, analyze and reproduce other's actions perfectly. It is not so far fetched.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by The Alpha Craig; 04-30-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-02-2008

Xavier is on a distinguished road
Default Uh huh...

It may just be me, but I think you have put quite a bit of thought into this. You do have very good points however. I have thought of some other amazing, incredible and uncanny scenarios that may some day be possible.

Buck Rodgers
OK so he does not have to be in a spaceship or anything, just in some form of suspended animation. Frogs do it, Bees do it, even mice in laboratory conditions do it; that is, slow their bodily funtions down, even on a cellular level. Who's to say the technology won't develop that allows us to sleep for periods of decades, even centuries?

The Borg
Or any form of cybernetic life form. Which in all likely-hood will be us, the 'Humans'. We have artificial limbs, bones and even a bionic eye. The future may see us meld more with technology- it may even be a neccesity?

Terminator, Cylon, Hal, Matrix blah blah
Then again technology may have it's own ideas, literally! All it will take is a councioussness to evolve (now where have we seen that happen before?). This awareness could be quite nice, or it just want to get rid of us. Bummer.
Old 05-08-2008

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
It may just be me, but I think you have put quite a bit of thought into this. You do have very good points however. I have thought of some other amazing, incredible and uncanny scenarios that may some day be possible.

Buck Rodgers
OK so he does not have to be in a spaceship or anything, just in some form of suspended animation. Frogs do it, Bees do it, even mice in laboratory conditions do it; that is, slow their bodily funtions down, even on a cellular level. Who's to say the technology won't develop that allows us to sleep for periods of decades, even centuries?

The Borg
Or any form of cybernetic life form. Which in all likely-hood will be us, the 'Humans'. We have artificial limbs, bones and even a bionic eye. The future may see us meld more with technology- it may even be a neccesity?

Terminator, Cylon, Hal, Matrix blah blah
Then again technology may have it's own ideas, literally! All it will take is a councioussness to evolve (now where have we seen that happen before?). This awareness could be quite nice, or it just want to get rid of us. Bummer.
All of these are excellent points and very realistic scenarios. For Buck "beedy beedy bee" Rogers to happen, all you would need is some kind of enzyme to prevent cellular damage by cold temperatures. The Borg are basically cyborgs that rely on technology to function properly and more effectively. As far as I know pacemakers, internal defibrillator and now potentially memory chips implanted in the human brain act as rudimentary bionic/cybernetic implants. Sony is already working on Terminators with their QRIO, Actroid, ASIMO, HUBO and AIBO robot models. It is only a matter of time before they take over, forcing us to sending someone back in time to father the future leader of all mankind.
Old 05-08-2008
Senior Chief

James will become famous soon enough

I think eventually there will be "Iron Men".
Old 05-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alpha Craig View Post
It is only a matter of time before they take over, forcing us to sending someone back in time to father the future leader of all mankind.

And there is the problem! Sending things back through time is way trickier than sending things forward.

BiddybiddybiddybiddybiddyI'd say we are pretty fucked, buck.

Ha!
Old 05-08-2008

Lightbulb

Quote:
And there is the problem! Sending things back through time is way trickier than sending things forward.

BiddybiddybiddybiddybiddyI'd say we are pretty fucked, buck.

Ha!
Well if we do find a way to go back in time, it would probably be the guy who created the time machine who tries it out. He'll go back in time and accidentally kill a relative before he is born which means he would never be born. Then again if he was never born he wouldn't invented the time machine so his relative could have never been accidentally killed. Now I have a headache.
Old 05-09-2008
Aficionado

Thom is on a distinguished road
Cool Different Spin

While their powers are not necessarily realistic, The Authority's behavior is certainly the most realistic; come on, if there were liberals with super-powers how long could the world get away with raising prices on food world-wide with people starving?
Old 05-14-2008

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
While their powers are not necessarily realistic, The Authority's behavior is certainly the most realistic; come on, if there were liberals with super-powers how long could the world get away with raising prices on food world-wide with people starving?
Aye, damn right. As well as illegal wars, witholding information and ditribution of wealth. To name a mere speckling of human suffering.

Without giving it too much thought I would imagine that most enhanced/meta/super humans would end up being corrupted by power anyway, let's face it, comic books are overly optimistic.
Old 05-14-2008

Lightbulb

Quote:
Aye, damn right. As well as illegal wars, witholding information and ditribution of wealth. To name a mere speckling of human suffering.

Without giving it too much thought I would imagine that most enhanced/meta/super humans would end up being corrupted by power anyway, let's face it, comic books are overly optimistic.
That is essentially what was done with Supreme Power. Marvel took the Squadron Supreme team (Marvels version of the Justice League) and re imagined them as a government financed group of dictators. They made and enforced laws because nobody could stand against them. Eventually that changed, but I think if a group of ultra-conservatives developed super-powers were might lose a bunch of freedoms.