Guess That Scene
Syndication
 RSS Feeds
Old 04-18-2008
MatchFlick Senior Scholar

AwesomeZara is on a distinguished road
Talking The Watchmen

http://imdb.com/title/tt0409459/

I'll let you guys take over about who is and isn't cast right and whether or not you think the movie is going to be good or not.

For those of us less geeky, I'll give the non-comic book fan's perspective.

Firstly, the movie is set for a release in March 2009, most likely to capitalize on how well director Zack Snyder's 300 did when it was released at a similar time of year in 2007. Smart move. There's usually not a lot to watch around that time and people will be looking for something "big" to fill the void.

Secondly, as I was reading over the cast list, I gave out a little gasp. You see, Jeffrey Dean Morgan is set to play "The Comedian," (about which I was getting chatter in my ear until I needed to dismiss him before I lost my train of thought) and Billy Crudup is set to play Dr. Manhattan. I don't know what these characters mean onscreen, but I will give you some interesting sideline info as them as real people.

Billy Crudup was that douche who knocked up Mary Louise Parker (currently starring in the cable show "Weeds" and just was out as the mom in THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES) and then left her for Claire Danes while the two were co-stars in the movie STAGE BEAUTY.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is the guy who was on "Weeds" with Parker and romanced her to the point that they were recently engaged. However, as of last week, they called off their engagement.

Having these two XXs just makes me giggle and wonder what these two men might have had to talk about while filming.

"Dude, I'm fucking your hot-ass baby mama that you were stupid enough to leave for that bony, one-trick pony."

"Yeah... well... I AM A GOLDEN GOD!"

"That was a character, dude. And you sucked in that movie too."

Ha.
Old 04-18-2008
Senior Chief

James will become famous soon enough

I just can't wait.
Old 04-18-2008

The Alpha Craig is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Watchmen was actually in the process of having the script written about the time that Sin City was getting ready to be released in theaters. Once V for Vendetta was released there was an announcement confirming that Watchmen going to be made into a movie. I was stoked when I heard about it, along with the proposed CGI Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie and the two Judge Dredd movies (the first one was supposed to be in black and white and Judge Death was to be the villain.) Unfortunately neither Dredd movies were made and TMNT turned out to be targeted towards a younger audience.

And that's not even getting into the whole back story on how The Watchman came to fruition as a comic book.
Old 04-18-2008

Xavier is on a distinguished road
Default Whatc....whatever

Despite my efforts to be a balanced, objective, laid back and thoughtful person, I am of the opinion that any Watchmen adaptation is going to be a big pile of retarded, diseased Donkey poo.

That is just me though.
Old 04-18-2008

Default Nooooooooooo!!!!! *snigger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeZara View Post
http://imdb.com/title/tt0409459/

Secondly, as I was reading over the cast list, I gave out a little gasp. You see, Jeffrey Dean Morgan is set to play "The Comedian," (about which I was getting chatter in my ear until I needed to dismiss him before I lost my train of thought) and Billy Crudup is set to play Dr. Manhattan. I don't know what these characters mean onscreen, but I will give you some interesting sideline info as them as real people.

Billy Crudup was that douche who knocked up Mary Louise Parker (currently starring in the cable show "Weeds" and just was out as the mom in THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES) and then left her for Claire Danes while the two were co-stars in the movie STAGE BEAUTY.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is the guy who was on "Weeds" with Parker and romanced her to the point that they were recently engaged. However, as of last week, they called off their engagement.

Having these two XXs just makes me giggle and wonder what these two men might have had to talk about while filming.

"Dude, I'm fucking your hot-ass baby mama that you were stupid enough to leave for that bony, one-trick pony."

"Yeah... well... I AM A GOLDEN GOD!"

"That was a character, dude. And you sucked in that movie too."

Ha.

OK, bollocks. I will read other posts before jumping the proverbial ICBM.

Now this is interesting, this is a good start. Maybe this is exactly the sort of underhand, untrustworthy, seedy, twisted and callous vibe they should be encouraging off screen to get the interactions right on screen. Whoever cast this is either; clueless, stoned, stupid or a bona-fide genius.

On the flip side, what did Crugan say to Morgan? Were they too paly? If so the movie is likely to suck CP's, and really, this sort of subjective reasoning should be left to the Pram-Faces.

Interestingly, both Danes and Parker are, in my selectively bulging book, both grade-A honeys. Who knows what is going on there. Dane's also seems to a bit of a serial heart/home-wrecker. A girl after my own heart, if she was lucky.

Zara, I would love to know what you consider this pony's trick to be? I would assume/presume/expect that you have seen all her films. I am of the opinion that she is a one-and-three-halves pony, with one of my favourite TV shows ever to boot...

BACK ON THE SUBJECT!!! I'm betting, that Craig and all the other Comic disciples would love to hear a great Alan Moore story.......
Old 04-18-2008

Lightbulb

With Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Edward Blake / The Comedian and Billy Crudup as Jon Osterman / Dr. Manhattan, it will be interesting to see if/how that affects the movie. Granted, in the comic book Dr. Manhattan and Thew Comedian have very little panel-time together (I think there is next to no dialog exchange between the two.) I am just wondering if, during the time spent interacting, there will be any apparent tension between them.

Maybe Morgan will think Crudup is a slime bag for ditching Parker.

Maybe Crudup will hate Morgan for being the step-up from him guy.

Maybe they both bailed on her because they felt she was an unbearable witch and now have a comradeship.

Either way it will be gossip in days to come.
Old 04-18-2008

Lightbulb Say no Moore....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
BACK ON THE SUBJECT!!! I'm betting, that Craig and all the other Comic disciples would love to hear a great Alan Moore story.......
I was going to explain this to Zara when she started this thread, but I will just post it here.

Charlton Comics was a started a small-time comic book publisher back in 1944 and rose to rival DC, Marvel and Fawcett. They had a successful run of characters, most notably Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, Nightshade, Peacemaker and (my favorite) The Question. In 1967 all of Charlton's hero titles were canceled which forced them to publish licensee titles like The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Top Cat, Flash Gordon, The Rocky and Bullwinkle, comic books based upon the television series Emergency!, The Bionic Woman, Space: 1999, comic based on teen heartthrob David Cassidy and The Partridge Family. Charlton eventually went bankrupt in the early 80s forcing them to sell their trade-marked characters. Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, Nightshade, Peacemaker and The Question were sold to DC.

This is where this becomes an Alan Moore story. He wanted to write a limited run series with those characters, but DC had plans to integrate them into the mainstream DC continuity to fight alongside their heroes like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Plus what Moore wanted to do with the characters would drastically change them in ways DC didn't want. So Moore then created characters for his series, called Watchmen, based loosely on the Charlton characters: Captain Atom became Doctor Manhattan, Blue Beetle became Night Owl, Nightshade became Silk Specter, Peacemaker became The Comedian and The Question became Rorschach (more or less.) Since then, DC has made references and minor cross-overs from the Watchman continuity into their own universe.

Sorry for this history lesson, I guess this should have just been a column.
Old 04-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post

Zara, I would love to know what you consider this pony's trick to be?

Pouty, put-out, whispery, child-like voice, flip on a dime smile.

Rinse, repeat.

I really loved SHOPGIRL, but most definitely not because of her.
Old 04-19-2008

Default You forgot

the anguished frown, she rules the pained pain look.

I liked BROKEDOWN PALACE. POLISH WEDDING is also kinda good. I am one of those who regard ROMEO AND JULIET as awesome.

You have to have some regard for her however, she is a redhead?

Still, back to the subject, anyone want to hear my Alan Moore story?
Old 04-19-2008

Actually, she's a natural blonde. They dyed her hair red for "My So-Called Life."