On May 4, 2012, Marvel's AVENGERS premiered in theaters nationwide. AVENGERS has grossed over 200 million dollars over the last seven days and will undoubtedly continue to gross millions in the coming weeks.
AVENGERS Movie Poster
Marvel's AVENGERS shows us a revolutionized team, The Avengers, which comprises of Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, Black Widow, Thor, and Hawkeye. The Avengers must come together for an impending and globe threatening war.
The movie AVENGERS depicts a hand selected army which prompted my own handpicked army. I have listed my hand selected army and told you who they are, why they qualify, and the performance that earned them the spot.
1. Iron Man/Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) Ironically, Iron Man was one of the members of the Avengers in Marvel's AVENGERS. Iron Man also qualifies for my hand selected war-ready team. Why, might you ask? Iron Man is a soldier unlike any other. He is made of armor, has the ability of flight, and has weapons which he can utilize with his voice activated armor suit. Beyond Iron Man, we find Tony Stark. Tony Stark is a brilliant mind who is not afraid of learning new things or a little hard work. Tony Stark built Iron Man while being held prisoner and has revolutionized Iron Man into a weapon and a hero. Iron Man/Tony Stark qualified for his position on my team when Tony Stark built him from scratch while being held prisoner. Iron Man has gradually performed outstanding feats which qualify him for the first spot.
2. Forest Gump (Tom Hanks) Forest Gump is a bit of a quirky pick; however, he is so outstandingly brilliant. Forest Gump is
comprised of massive amounts of compassion, and while a bit slow, still never has ceased to amaze me. Forest Gump earned his spot on my team when he completely disassembled a military machine gun and reassembles it in a matter of minutes, if not seconds. The second qualification is his optimism. Forest Gump always sees the best in matters and lifts his fellow team members' spirits.
Chev Chelios Recharging
3. Hulk /Eric Bana (Bruce Banner) The Hulk is raw power. When someone asks for a team member who can punch through walls, Hulk jumps into my mind, first and foremost. The Hulk simply does not need an explanation. It is never a bad idea to have raw power and size. But, behind The Hulk is Eric Bana, who is a genius. The doctor is an outstanding mind and can read gamma rays unlike any other hero. The Hulk earned his spot, one, for his size and power and two, with his display in AVENGERS. Hulk, while misunderstood, is one of the defining members of The Avengers. Hulk smash...Literally. And Bana while controlling Hulk is a very valuable mind and part of any team.
4. Chev Chelios (Jason Statham; CRANK) Chev Chelios is a bad ass. He has no heart. Literally. His heart was removed. Seriously, how in the world could that be not awesome? Chev Chelios is running on electric current and still kicks ass while keeping himself charged. He is angry, independent, and unstoppable. He fell to the ground out of a helicopter...and survived. That alone was enough to qualify him for my team.
5. Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio; INCEPTION) Cobb is not only a vital member to any team, but is a master mind. He can incept the brain
through dreams and change your thinking. He can disarm a villain or an enemy without hand to hand combat. Cobb has outstanding abilities, including bending the mind. With a successful inception in INCEPTION (2010), Cobb completely alters a young man's mind. Cobb qualified for a spot on my team when he taught the abilities to incept the mind. Cobb is a powerful man and he knows how to teach, train, and control his abilities.
The Ghost Rider
6. The Ghost Rider (Nicholas Cage) Ghost Rider is a warrior of a different sort. He is a product of the evil. Ghost Rider, the soldier of the Devil, is simply out of control. He is death in a flame and is hard to control. He has the ability to kill and the ability to see through souls. The Ghost Rider is dark. The Ghost Rider is truly a hero of the dark, although, is a hero nonetheless. However, trapped inside Johnny Blaze, The Ghost Rider is soon controlled. Johnny Blaze learns to control The Ghost Rider, sort of. In GHOST RIDER: SPIRT OF VENGENCE, when Johnny Blaze takes control of The Ghost Rider, he without question, qualified for my team.
7. Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel; FAST AND THE FURIOUS) Dominic Toretto is a criminal. Toretto is a criminal of power. He knows the ins and outs of the world. He has ducked jail, death, and everything in between. Toretto is street smart and is one hell of a driver. Toretto could drive any vehicle and still do it with style. Toretto, while handling his own life, also provides for a slew of people who are not his blood, but he treats them as family. Toretto is a bad ass criminal who has a heart. Toretto qualified for my team
when he almost killed himself to win a race against cop, Brian O'Connor. Toretto risks his life for his pride and a crazy badass is not always bad to have on hand.
8. Ironhide (Jess Harnell; TRANSFORMERS) Ironhide is not hard to explain. He is an autonomous robot from an advanced alien race. He is powerful and agile. Ironhide is large and towers over any other member of my team. He is able to transform from robot to vehicle form and is able to take the shape of any vehicle or object. He is able to provide unlimited advantages and power. Ironhide qualified for my team because of his advanced abilities and power.
9. Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence; THE HUNGER GAMES) Here is where I stretch the limits. Katniss Everdeen is a bad ass chick. She volunteers herself to save her sister and during the games, make a warrior of herself. She can shoot a bow and arrow better than anyone I have ever seen. Against all odds, Katniss protects herself, kills others, and avoids every obstacle thrown at her. Running from flames, avoiding explosives, and avoiding mutant dogs, Katniss survives with her will to live and warrior like abilities, with the help of her bow and arrow. Katniss earned her spot on my team when she shot an apple out of a dead pig's mouth to gain the attention of sponsors' before the games start.
Here is my team of warriors/soldiers/heroes. Each one is unique, has the ability to survive under pressure, and proves their willingness every time they fight. AVENGERS provided the perfect opportunity to assemble my hand selected team.
Who would you select to be on your team of soldiers?
email this column to a friend
Comment on this Column:
|Sorry, you must be a member to add comments to columns.|
Join or Login.
May 10, 2012 2:19 AM
|That's quite an eclectic group of individuals. Superhuman powers, technical wizardry and physical prowess.|
Two Questions: Who is your leader? In the movie, Captain America was obviously the leader of the Avengers. Who would you pick?
Second: Who would be your villain? A superteam is only as good as your villain. And with your team, choosing one who could connect with all your heroes will be a challenge. I suppose that since your team is also composed of non-comic book heroes, your villain need not have the same restriction also.
Being a strict comic book enthusiast, I'd keep the movie team and add Goliath (Henry Pym) and the Wasp (Janet Van Dyne), two of the original Avengers. And I'd keep Thanos, the villain for AVENGERS 2.
May 11, 2012 2:36 PM
|I'm not sure I condone Ghost Rider on your list. Nicholas Cage's most prominent super power recently is the power to make really bad movies!|
I'm with you on the rest.
Subscribe to MatchFlick Movie Reviews through RSS
|A-Z: Reviewing Them All|
Every other Thursday
Exploring and viewing every genre, from Horror to Romantic Comedy, to bring you the most enjoyable movies to watch. Wether in theaters, at a friends house, or at home: This column will be your place to decide on the best movie for Saturday nights.
As a young child, writing became more than a momentary pleasure. Writing became a livelihood. Each moment I spend with a pen resting on my paper is one that will become part of my history and experience as a writer. Unpublished and unfounded Lauren Marie is a writer undiscovered and enjoying the journey from behind the paper.|
If you have a comment, question, or suggestion, you can send a message to Lauren Ciccone by clicking here.|